Baccarat, a game often associated with sophistication and mystery in the casino world, is actually one of the simplest games to understand. This guide is designed for beginners or ‘dummies’, aiming to demystify the basic rules of Baccarat and provide a straightforward entry into the game’s exciting world.
What is Baccarat?
Baccarat is a card game played at casinos, often seen as a game of elegance, favored in spy films and high-stakes gaming rooms. Despite its high-roller image, Baccarat is a game of chance that is relatively simple to grasp, making it a fantastic choice for casino newcomers.
The Objective of Baccarat
The main goal in Baccarat is to predict which of two hands – the Player or the Banker – will have a total closest to 9, or if the outcome will be a tie. Players place their bets on one of these three outcomes.
Basic Rules of Baccarat
- Card Values: In Baccarat, the cards 2 through 9 are worth their face value, aces are worth 1 point, and 10s, jacks, queens, and kings have no point value (0 points).
- Dealing the Cards: The game starts with two cards being dealt to both the Player and the Banker.
- Calculating the Score: The score of each hand is the sum of the two cards, with the rightmost digit being the relevant one. For example, if the total is 15, the score is 5.
- Third Card Rule: Depending on the score, a third card may be dealt to either the Player, the Banker, or both. This is where some of the game’s nuances come into play, but the dealer takes care of this aspect.
- Winning Hand: The winning hand is the one with a total closest to 9. If both hands end up with the same total, it’s a tie.
- Player’s Hand: Betting on the Player’s hand to win.
- Banker’s Hand: Betting on the Banker’s hand to win, which has a slightly higher chance of winning but usually comes with a commission on the winnings due to the casino.
- Tie: Betting on the outcome being a tie. This bet has the highest payout but also the lowest odds of winning.
Tips for Baccarat Beginners
- Understand the Odds: Knowing the house edge and odds for each bet is crucial.
- Avoid the ‘Tie’ Bet: While tempting, the tie bet has the worst odds.
- Banker is Usually the Best Bet: Due to its slightly higher odds of winning.
Baccarat FAQs: Answers to Your Most Common Questions
When Is It a Draw in Baccarat?
Question: If both the banker and a player have a 6 after the initial deal, is it a draw?
Answer: Yes. In Baccarat, if both the player and the banker end up with the same total, it results in a tie or draw.
Understanding Baccarat Scores
Question: What is the highest possible score in Baccarat?
Answer: The highest score in Baccarat is 9. Since only the second digit of a total counts if it exceeds 9, 9 is the best possible score.
Betting in Baccarat
Question: What is a typical wager in Baccarat?
Answer: While minimum bets can vary, in many U.S. casinos, the typical minimum bet ranges from $20 to $25.
Question: How much does it cost to play Baccarat?
Answer: The cost of playing Baccarat depends on the casino, but the minimum bet is usually around $25.
Question: Can you bet on both the banker and the player at the same time?
Answer: No, you cannot bet on both the banker and the player in the same hand. However, you can play multiple hands, designating one as the banker and another as the player, especially if you’re interested in side bets.
Baccarat Card Drawing Rules
Question: When do players and bankers draw cards?
Answer: The drawing of a third card in Baccarat depends on the total of the first two cards. For example, a player draws a third card on totals of 0-5 and stands on 6 or 7. The banker’s actions depend on the player’s third card and their total.
Baccarat Commissions and Payouts
Question: What is the commission if I bet on the banker?
Answer: The standard commission on a banker’s bet is 5%, but some casinos may reduce it to 4%.
Question: Is it helpful to bet on both the banker and player in Baccarat?
Answer: Betting on both the banker and player is generally not advisable as it can reduce the potential payout, especially considering the commission on banker bets.
Question: What is the standard commission for betting with the banker in Baccarat?
Answer: Contrary to some beliefs, there is typically a commission for betting on the banker. The usual rate is 5%.
Specific Game Scenarios
Question: If a player totals 9, does the bank draw?
Answer: No, if the player’s initial cards total 9 (or 8), the bank does not draw a third card.
Question: How is the payout for Baccarat determined?
Answer: The payout in Baccarat is typically 1 to 1. If you win a $25 bet, you receive your wager back plus an additional $25. However, betting on the banker and winning usually involves a 5% commission.
Miscellaneous Baccarat Questions
Question: How many points are assigned to face cards?
Answer: King, Queen, Jack, and 10 are all valued at zero points in Baccarat.
Question: How many decks are typically used in Baccarat?
Answer: Standard Baccarat games use 8 decks of cards, though some variations may use 6 decks.